Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Delicious and worthy of company. Modified from Eggplant With Tahini/Labneh Sauce, http://www.greenprophet.com
- Grill whole eggplants in the oven turning to char or directly over a flame. The charred taste of flame-grilled eggplant is more authentic.
- Use tongs to turn the eggplant from side to side, ensuring that it’s cooked and soft all over. Place the hot, grilled eggplant in a paper bag or inside a covered dish and allow it to cool slightly. This makes it easier to peel.
- Remove the eggplant to a plate and get a small bowl of cold water ready. When it’s just cool enough to handle by its cap end, wet your fingers and pick off the charred peel.
- Cut it in half horizontally.
- Lay the eggplant down again and press a fork through the flesh, make striations along its length.
- Squeeze some lemon juice over the surface.
- Sprinkle cumin, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, over it.
- Add crushed garlic to labneh and mix very well.
- Drizzle it up and down its length. Criss-cross the surface with a trail of labneh.
- Drizzle it with date syrup and pomegranate molasses. You want only a little sweetness. Drizzle from side to side, or diagonally, so that it makes a pretty pattern.
- Eat while it’s still warm.