Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick and easy recipe that can be done almost completely on the grill. It’s perfect as an appetizer or even as a side dish. If you want to change it up a bit, simply add a toasted bun and it becomes a scrumptious eggplant burger! This came off a food blog site.
- 1 large eggplant, skin removed & sliced horizontally to about 1/2, thickness
- 8 -10 roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 1 small red onions or 1 small vidalia onion, chopped finely
- extra virgin olive oil
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- fresh basil leaf, chopped roughly
- salt and pepper
- Slice your tomatoes in half, place in a bowl & drizzle with enough extra virgin olive oil over tomatoes to coat well. Season with s/p. Place your tomatoes on a grilling sheet/pan and grill for 8-10 minutes until tender & juicy. Turning a few times during cooking.
- While tomatoes are cooking prepare your eggplant by removing skin & slicing it horizontally to about 1/2; thickness. Brush both sides of the eggplant with extra virgin olive oil. Season with s/p. Grill eggplant slices for 3-4 minutes on each side until eggplant is tender & has nice grill marks.
- Once tomatoes have cooled slightly, roughly chop tomatoes & return to bowl. Add a drizzle of olive oil & chopped onion. Add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Season again with s/p to taste, mix well & garnish with basil. In a small bowl, add your room temperature ricotta cheese, add in your red pepper flakes and season with s/p to taste.
- Now to assemble. Place your grilled eggplant on a plate, add a nice dollop of the ricotta cheese mixture & top with grilled tomato salsa. Garnish with a tad more roughly chopped basil!