Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes from Ralph's Bull & Claw Tavern in North Providence, Rhode Island. It was printed in the Food section of the Providence Journal. I have made it a few times and it is delicious! You may want to adjust the salt & garlic to taste. Also, I could not find a 16 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes, so I used a 28 oz can and had left over sauce to use for next time. I also salted and let sit the sliced eggplant in a colander for an hour, then rinsed and squeezed it dry. Enjoy!
- 1 whole eggplant, peeled
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 6 ounces wilted spinach (see recipe)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (see recipe)
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shaved
- additional extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup garlic-infused olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes (or red pepper flakes)
- 2 teaspoons sliced fresh garlic
- For Marinara:.
- Put tomatoes in pot, mash with a whisk.
- After the tomatoes come to a boil, add all of the seasonings and oil, let simmer for 10 minutes.
- For Wilted Spinach:.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil and garlic in sauté pan until garlic is golden brown.
- Add spinach and the rest of seasonings until spinach wilts down by half.
- Slice eggplant into 1/4-inch slices.
- Season with sea salt, cracked black pepper, and olive oil.
- Place on preheated char broiler until very tender. (Or place under oven broiler).
- Make three layers. Place grilled eggplant slices in baking pan.
- Add 2 oz wilted spinach and 2 slices mozzarella. Repeat for a second layer.
- Cap off with a piece of grilled eggplant.
- Place in a 500°F oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Ladle heated marinara on plate. Place eggplant on top. Finish with a pour of olive oil and shaved Parmigiana.