Chef #564933's Note:
This recipe comes from Ralph's Bull & Claw Tavern in North Providence, Rhode Island. It was printed in the Food section of the Providence Journal. I have made it a few times and it is delicious! You may want to adjust the salt & garlic to taste. Also, I could not find a 16 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes, so I used a 28 oz can and had left over sauce to use for next time. I also salted and let sit the sliced eggplant in a colander for an hour, then rinsed and squeezed it dry. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole eggplant, peeled
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 6 ounces wilted spinach (see recipe)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (see recipe)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shaved
- additional extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1/2 cup garlic-infused olive oil
- 1For Marinara:.
- 2Put tomatoes in pot, mash with a whisk.
- 3After the tomatoes come to a boil, add all of the seasonings and oil, let simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4For Wilted Spinach:.
- 5Heat extra virgin olive oil and garlic in sauté pan until garlic is golden brown.
- 6Add spinach and the rest of seasonings until spinach wilts down by half.
- 7Slice eggplant into 1/4-inch slices.
- 8Season with sea salt, cracked black pepper, and olive oil.
- 9Place on preheated char broiler until very tender. (Or place under oven broiler).
- 10Make three layers. Place grilled eggplant slices in baking pan.
- 11Add 2 oz wilted spinach and 2 slices mozzarella. Repeat for a second layer.
- 12Cap off with a piece of grilled eggplant.
- 13Place in a 500°F oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- 14Ladle heated marinara on plate. Place eggplant on top. Finish with a pour of olive oil and shaved Parmigiana.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Eggplant Capri
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1002.2
- Calories from Fat 780
- Total Fat 86.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 36.4 mg
- Sodium 8398.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 24.2 g
- Protein 19.6 g