Recipe by Colleen321
I got this from a care2.com email. They said it was inspired by Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. I had to post it so I wouldn't loose it. It was so good!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 16 1/4-inch rounds
- 8 slices provolone cheese (thin slices) or 8 slices gouda cheese (thin slices) or 8 slices other cheese (thin slices)
- 2 thinly-sliced tomatoes or 4 large roasted red peppers
- 8 -16 leaves fresh basil
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons wine vinegar or 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- sea salt
- freshly-ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk all seasoning oil ingredients in a small bowl.
- Brush eggplant slices with seasoning oil and place over medium-high heat on grill. Close lid and cook until tender, turning and brushing with remaining seasoning oil, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from grill. (You may also cook eggplant under the broiler, or saute them in a pan until tender, about 4 or 5 minutes per side.).
- Place a slice of cheese on 1 eggplant slice, then top with another eggplant slice. Top this with 2 tomato slices or a piece of roasted red pepper, then put 2 to 4 basil leaves on top of that. Top with third eggplant slice, then another slice of cheese. Top with a fourth eggplant slice. Finish with a grind of pepper.
- Repeat process to make 4 stacks. Place stacks on grill, close lid, and cook for about 2 minutes, turning once.
- Serve immediately, or make into sandwiches on crusty rolls or bread. These sandwiches may be served warm or wrapped tightly and chilled several hours or overnight.
- (I had mine open faced on ciabatta bread).