Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so good and addictive my mouth is watering as I post this.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning (I used McCormick's)
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 small eggplants, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 lb deli-style thick-sliced mild provolone cheese
- 6 plum tomatoes, cut in half lenthwise (1 lb)
- 1 small red onion, cut in half crosswise
- 1 fresh poblano chiles (omitted personal preference) or 2 jalapeno chiles (omitted personal preference)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- SALSA ~ MAKE FIRST:.
- Heat the broiler and cook the tomatoes, onion, and chil(es) about 4" from the heat, turning frequently, until lightly charred but still firm on the inside.
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes and onion.
- Peel the skin from the chili(es), seed the chili(es) and chop(if using).
- Combine the vegetables in a bowl with the cilantro, lime juice and salt.
- Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. (We served it about 6 hours later.).
- GRILLED EGGPLANTS:.
- Whisk together the vinegar, oil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes, and brush on cut sides of the eggplants.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat the broiler and cook the eggplants about 6" from the heat, cut-side down, for about 5 minutes.
- Turn and broil cut-side up for about 3 minutes.
- Add the provolone and broil about 3 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly.
- Top with some Grilled Salsa.(yield 3 cups).
I just made this for dinner (along with garlic risotto) and recieved rave reviews - even from my 13 month old who was insistently requesting "more mama"! This is definitely a keeper. Thanks!