Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These little Italian bundles of tomatoes, mozzarella chees and basil, wrapped in slices of eggplant and then cooked on the BBQ. Cooking time includes refrigerating the parcels for 20 minutes.
- 2 large eggplants
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced into 8 pieces
- 2 tomatoes, sliced into 8 pieces
- 16 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
For the Sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Remove the stalks from the eggplants and slice lengthwise into 1/4" slices.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the eggplant slices for 2 minutes.
- Drain and pat slices dry with paper towel.
- Take 2 eggplant slices and arranged in a cross.
- Assemble with a slice of tomato in the center, season with salt & pepper, next a basil leaf and then a slice of mozzarella, another basil leaf, another tomato and more seasoning.
- Fold the ends of the eggplant slices around the filling.
- Chill the parcels for 20 minutes in fridge.
- To make the sauce, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, tomato paste, and lemon juice.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Baste the eggplant parcels with sauce and grill for about 10 minutes, turning once.
These are so attractive on the plate and they taste great, as you'd expect of this combination.My eggplant was a little short and my tomatoes were a little too large so I ended up using toothpicks to keep them parceled. Next time I'll buy with the proportionate size in mind. The sauce was the perfect finish for these wonderful bundles.