Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
We try to cut back on our red meat and our favorite subs are eggplant and Portebello mushrooms. This is a delicious eggplant one. The freshest ingredients really make a difference,especially the mozzarella and basil.
- 1⁄4 cup Italian dressing (your favorie or homemade with olive oil)
- 12 ounces baby eggplants, cut in 1/2 inch thick lengthwise slices
- 2 large crusty rolls, split
- 4 -6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (or deli,adjust depending on your taste)
- 1 roma tomato, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- Prepare a moderately hot grill.
- On a platter, pour 2 T dressing over eggplant slices, (I brush the slices to cut back on calories).
- Grill eggplant over moderate heat, brushing with more dressing, until charred and soft on the inside, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush cut sides of rolls with remaining dressing, place around edge of grill, and toast until a golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Layer rolls with eggplant, cheese, tomato, and basil leaves and replace tops.
Sooo good! I never tried baby eggplant before and they are much tastier than the big ones. I grilled it on the panini maker and then also pressed the sandwiches in it too.
This was incredible. I"ll take this over a cheeseburger any day.