Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy and delicious! The flavors will explode in your mouth. You can add other grilled vegetables with it, such as portobello mushrooms or onions. You could even do this in a grill pan if necessary! From Bobby Flay and his show Grill It! with Bobby Flay, Episode: Grilled Sandwich Showdown.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced crosswise
- canola oil
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 loaf ciabatta, sliced lengthwise in 1/2 (or you can use French bread)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- fresh basil leaf
- baby arugula (or spinach or lettuce)
- Combine the mayonnaise and garlic in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Heat a grill to high(or broiler).
- Brush the eggplant on both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill until golden brown on both sides and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Brush the peppers with oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill until charred on all sides, remove, place in a bowl, cover and let steam for 10 minutes. Remove the skin and the seeds.
- Put bread on the grill, cut side down, and grill for 1-2 minutes to warm through and crisp slightly.
- Spread the bread with the mayonnaise mixture and top the bottom half with eggplant, peppers, cheese, basil and arugula. Cover with the top of the bread and serve.
Yummy!! This is delicious and very reminiscent of the grilled eggplant sandwich they serve at La'Bou. The garlic mayonnaise is a fabulous touch. I made as written using romaine lettuce because that is what we had on hand. This has just become one of my favorite sandwiches, thanks so much for the post.
Was thinking that my 5 year old son would love this with the mayo and the cheese, and the fact he loves eggplant, must have been something that he didn't like? Everyone else enjoyed it :-)
A luscious sandwich that I thoroughly enjoyed for lunch today