Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are great when it's too hot in the kitchen. The sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated - this also makes a lot of sauce,leftovers can be refrigerated for later. Adapted from Bon Appetit (July 2004)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and then add onion and sauté until soft (5 minutes). Add next 5 ingredients (ketchup - mustard)and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and chili powder. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in bourbon and cook another 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt. (May be prepared up to one day ahead, covered and refrigerated).
- In a large baggie or paper bag add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and then add chicken and shake well to coat.
- Let chicken stand at room temperature while preparing grill.
- Grill drumsticks for 20-30 minutes or until skin is crisp and chicken is done, brushing with sauce occasionally. When chicken is done brush with sauce again and cook until glazed (3-5 minutes).
- Serve with remaining sauce.