Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Grilling these chickens under a heavy weight will help them to cook quickly and evenly,leaving them crisp and juicy. From Martha Stewart.
- 4 baby chickens or 4 Cornish hens or 4 chicken breasts
- 3 lemons, plus wedges for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- If using whole chickens, use kitchen shears to cut along one side of the backbone of each chicken. Then cut along the other side of the backone, discard it. Open the chickens, skin side up, on a clean surface. Press down to flatten. Place in large bowl.
- Thinly slice 2 lemons. Squeeze the juice of the remainig lemon and add both to bowl with chickens. Add remaining ingredients, except salt, and toss. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat a grill to medium got. Wrap 4 bricks with aluminum foil (a large heavy skillet can also be used). Remove chickens from marinade; salt both sides. Brush grill with oil; transfer chickens to the grill, skin side up, and place bricks on top of chickens. Grill 10-15 minutes per side, untilskin is dark brown and juices run clear when chicken is pierced. Serve with lemon wedges.