Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another recipe "stolen" from the Cambodian grandmother of a former student of mine. These are very similar to a dish served at a local Cambodian restaurant. At the restaurant you can also get it as an entree with rice. Prep time doesn't include marinating.
- 1 lb chicken tenders or 1 lb chicken breast, cut into long strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 stalks green onions, minced (depending on size...I've found the huge ones we get here in CA it's sometimes six.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemongrass, minced (I've found a great pureed lemongrass in a tube product(also other herbs, but I keep them in the free)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl or ziplock bag, put chicken meat, garlic, onion, lemon grass, curry powder, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, paprika, black pepper and water, mix well, add vegetable oil, mix well.
- Refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours.).
- When ready to cook, skewer chicken meat with soaked wooden skewers and cook on grill with low heat till both sides are golden brown. (About ten minutes--too long and the chicken will be sawdust dry.).
- Serve hot as appetizer with mango salsa.
These chicken skewers are not only healthy and easy to make, but they are DELICIOUS! I made this recipe with 5 lbs of chicken and I am sure glad I did. I boiled some of the marinade and added some coconut milk and mango chutney to make a dipping sauce. I loved this chicken. Thank you for posting this recipe.
These would have to be the best curry chicken skeweres I have ever made or eaten! The marinade is just amazing and the chicken melts in your mouth. I used hot curry powder and hot paprika and brown sugar rather than honey. Served with veggie fried rice and salad - DH and I just scoffed this down! 10 stars and thank you for posting!
these are fantastic. I didnt have a mango chutney to go with them, so i smashed up an over ripe apricot, added some mint, some lemon juice, and a little chopped green chili with a drizzle of honey as a chutney. MAKE THESE SKEWERS!!! i bought 3 inch appetizer ones and they worked like a dream. The flavor of all the marinade..mmmmmm. I smothered the skewers with the left over, and wished i had dinner parties or knew people bc this would be my huge numbers appy. I cut it in half and i had 12 mini skewers.