Recipe by DeeCooks
Another recipe "stolen" from the Cambodian grandmother of a former student of mine. These are very similar to a dish served at a local Cambodian restaurant. At the restaurant you can also get it as an entree with rice. Prep time doesn't include marinating.
Top Review by JOY1998
These chicken skewers are not only healthy and easy to make, but they are DELICIOUS! I made this recipe with 5 lbs of chicken and I am sure glad I did. I boiled some of the marinade and added some coconut milk and mango chutney to make a dipping sauce. I loved this chicken. Thank you for posting this recipe.
- 1 lb chicken tenders or 1 lb chicken breast, cut into long strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 stalks green onions, minced (depending on size...I've found the huge ones we get here in CA it's sometimes six.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemongrass, minced (I've found a great pureed lemongrass in a tube product(also other herbs, but I keep them in the free)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl or ziplock bag, put chicken meat, garlic, onion, lemon grass, curry powder, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, paprika, black pepper and water, mix well, add vegetable oil, mix well.
- Refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours.).
- When ready to cook, skewer chicken meat with soaked wooden skewers and cook on grill with low heat till both sides are golden brown. (About ten minutes--too long and the chicken will be sawdust dry.).
- Serve hot as appetizer with mango salsa.