Recipe by VickyJ
This was something I threw together for dinner tonight. I was tired of the same old cube steak recipes. This was a little different. To make the steaks a little more tender, I let them marinate in Italian dressing all day. When I came home they were ready to pop on the grill. While they grilled, I made the sauce. It's super easy. I'll give you the ingredients I used, but you can experiment to adjust to your tastes. This recipe is for 2 servings, but you can change to allow more. Steak fries, baked potato, steamed broccoli, corn, pasta salad or tossed salad would be some great sides to serve with this dish.
- 2 beef cube steaks
- 2 tablespoons bottled Italian dressing (homemade or lite Italian is fine, also)
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Chardonnay wine
- 1 cup stock (veg or chicken or beef.. I used veg)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place steaks and 2 Tbsp of Italian dressing in freezer zip bags to marinate for a couple hours or all day.
- When ready to grill lightly coat both sides of each steak with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Heat grill to med-hi.
- Cook steaks about 10 minutes for each side.
- For the sauce:.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan and add the onions.
- Cook on a low heat for about 10-15 minutes until soft. Stir in the basil/rosemary and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up and add the sugar, let the onions caramelize slightly by stirring over a medium high flame for 3 minutes, add the flour and cook for a few minutes before adding the stock and wine.
- Taste and then add salt and pepper.
- Serve over steaks.