Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
From The Best Northwest Places Cookbook (Volume 1). Tokeland Hotel & Restaurant, Tokeland, Washington. Nothing showcases Northwest Dungeness crab better than simplicity. Here's a standout sandwich that needs nothing more than a crank of freshly ground black pepper.
- 3⁄4 lb crabmeat
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (or more)
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, more if needed
- PICK OVER the crabmeat to remove any bits of shell or cartilage.
- COMBINE THE CRABMEAT and cheese in a large bowl and stir to mix. Add enough mayonnaise to hold the mixture together.
- SPREAD THE CRAB MIXTURE on half of the bread slices and top with the remaining bread. Brush the tops with some of the melted butter. Heat a heavy skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches, buttered side down, and toast until browned, about 2 minutes. Brush the tops with more butter, turn the sandwiches, and continue toasting until the second side is browned and the cheese has melted, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- TRANSFER THE SANDWICHES to individual plates and serve, cut in half if desired.