Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Cooking Light, May 1994.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Cornish hens (2 hens)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine or 1⁄2 cup dry red wine, divided
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons peeled grated gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup fresh raspberry, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh rosemary sprig (optional)
- Remove giblets and necks from Cornish hens, and set aside.
- Rinse hens under cold running water, and pat dry.
- Remove skin, and trim excess fat; split hens in half lengthwise.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; add giblets and necks.
- Cook 5 minutes or until very brown.
- Add broth, onion, 1/4 cup wine, and next 2 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl, reserving 1 1/2 cups; discard solids.
- Set aside broth mixture.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup wine, lemon juice, gingerroot, and minced garlic in a large bowl.
- Add hen halves; cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, turning hens occasionally.
- Remove hens from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place hen halves on rack over medium heat.
- Cook 15 minutes on each side or until juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
- Set aside, and keep warm.
- Combine reserved broth mixture and 1/2 cup raspberries in a saucepan; boil until reduced to 1 cup (about 5 minutes).
- Strain and discard seeds; return puree to pan.
- Combine water and cornstarch; stir well, and add to puree.
- Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley, sugar, and salt.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons sauce onto individual serving plates; arrange hen half on each plate, and top with 2 tablespoons raspberries.