Recipe by Lorac
Savory sausage gravy served over grilled squares of cornbread made with the added texture and sweetness of kernel corn and red bell peppers and spiced with a bit of cumin. Make the bread the day before for a really special breakfast or brunch treat. Serve it with a green salad for a colorful and tasty lunch or dinner.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
Sometimes you come across a recipe that really gets you excited. This one did it for me and my husband. The cumin flavor in the cornbread along with the red peppers was divine. The sausage gravy just made us shudder. Being raised in the south, we had fried cornbread a lot but I never thought to put sausage gravy over it. A brilliant idea and something that we will enjoy for many moons. Thanks ;)
- 1 (15 ounce) box cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1⁄4 cup diced red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- butter, for grilling
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 7 tablespoons flour
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Corn Bread: Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease a 8x8x2 inch baking dish.
- Combine all ingredients, except butter, and mix well.
- Pour into prepared dish and bake 25-30 minutes.
- Sausage Gravy: Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring and breaking up sausage until no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to low, add flour and stir 1 minute.
- add milk, water, garlic salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium high and stir until mixture come to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook 2-3 minutes.
- To assemble: Slice cornbread into squares.
- Melt butter in a frying pan or griddle and lightly brown squares on both sides.
- Remove to serving plates and top with Sausage Gravy.