Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
I made this up last month and it became an instant favorite. I hope you enjoy it.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 6 ounces beer
- 4 ears grilled corn
- 3 poblano peppers
- 3 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups chicken broth, warmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 -10 corn tortillas
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan. Add garlic and onion and sauté until translucent. Add cumin and oregano and cook for 1-2mins until spices start to toast. Deglaze with beer.
- Nestle chicken breasts on top of onions and cover. Cook for 18 minutes. Remove from heat and cool enough to shred the chicken.
- Mix the shredded chicken with the onions, garlic and liquid from the pan and add the kernels from 3 ears of corn.
- Grill the corn for 15-20 minutes in husks. Cool until it is easy to husk and cut kernels from cob.
- At the same time, put poblanos on the grill and char on every side. Put them in a paper sack for 15 minutes to sweat. Remove the pepper skins. They should peel off easily. Stem, seed and dice the peppers.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan until bubbly. Add the flour and whisk for 1-2mins until flour is cooked. Slowly add the warm chicken broth. Cook until thickened and add 1 cup Monterey jack cheese and the peppers. Puree and taste for salt and pepper.
- Warm up a ladleful of sauce in a small sauté pan and put a tortilla in the pan cooking until pliable.
- Place the tortilla on a plate and fill with the chicken mixture and a sprinkling of pepper jack.
- Place in a greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Continue until all of the filling is used up.
- Cover the enchiladas with remaining sauce, sprinkle with the remaining corn and pepper jack cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for 15 minutes more or until bubbly and golden.