1/2 Photos of Grilled Collard Greens
Who would've thought you could grill collard greens? But Chef Gabriel Claycamp showed us how at Culinary Communion, and they were absolutely delicious!! The outside leaves are crispy, and the inner ones tender and juicy. Posted with permission.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bunches collard greens, trimmed and washed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (bacon/duck/goose preferred) or 2 tablespoons duck fat (bacon/duck/goose preferred) or 2 tablespoons goose fat (bacon/duck/goose preferred) or 2 tablespoons butter (bacon/duck/goose preferred) or 2 tablespoons lard (bacon/duck/goose preferred)
- ice water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Prepare a large bowl of ice water; preheat your grill.
- 2Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add the salt and fat.
- 3When salt is dissolved and fat is melted, add the collard greens to the boiling water and simmer for 3 minutes.
- 4Remove collards from the water and immediately plunge into the ice water to halt the cooking and preserve the beautiful green color.
- 5(When removed from the boiling water, the collards should be coated with the fat - that's what you want).
- 6Remove the collards from the ice water a leaf at a time and stack them flat on top of each other, about 7 to 9 leaves high.
- 7Oil your grill well and grill the stacked collard leaves until done, turning once, about 5 minutes per side (depending on the temperature of your grill).
- 8Cut stacked collards in half or quarters, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Collard Greens
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 37.0
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 894.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: