Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a good and easy appetizer to prepare for guests at outdoor BBQ events. This makes 6 appetizer servings or serves 2 as a main dish. Adapted from Barbecued Ribs, Smoked Butts and Other Great Feeds by Jeanne Voltz.
- 24 hardshell clams
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Scrub clams thoroughly and discard any that are not live - hardshell clams close their shells when tapped if they are live.
- Place clams on grill over hot coals.
- In a small skillet combine garlic, oregano, parsley, bread crumbs and oil; stir together to form a crumbly mixture and heat at the edge of the grill while clams are roasting.
- When clam shells open, after about 5 minutes, lift off the top shells using mitts to protect your hands; drop a spoonful of the herbed crumbs on each clam and heat a minute or two.
- Serve at once.
The crumb mixture didn't stick and was very messy to eat. I'll try it again but next time I'll add some parma cheese to the mix.