This recipe is SOO good! It came from the "BBQ USA" cookbook with a few modifications. They list it as an appetizer but I have also served the shrimp with a salad as a meal. My seven year old even requested this for his birthday dinner last week! Cooking time reflects marinating time. Yield is an estimate. It depends on if you serve this as an appetizer or main dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Marinade
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle chile in adobo, plus
- 2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce, from the can
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
For the sauce
- 1If using wooden skewers, soak in cold water while shrimp marinates.
- 2To marinate the shrimp: Put the cilanto, garlic and chipotle with sauce in to a glass or plastic bowl.
- 3Stir in the olive oil and lime juice.
- 4Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Add the shrimp and toss to coat with marinade.
- 6Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 7For the sauce: Whisk together in a glass bowl the ketchup, orange juice, lime juice, worcestershire sauce and chipotles with sauce.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Set aside.
- 10To cook shrimp: Remove shrimp from marinade.
- 11Discard marinade.
- 12The original recipe called for threading one shrimp on each skewer.
- 13This makes a nice presentation but takes a little longer to prepare!
- 14I Thread several shrimp, about 4 or 5 depending on the size of the shrimp, on each skewer.
- 15Place on an oiled grill that has been preheated to medium high.
- 16Cook for about 2 minutes per side.
- 17They will turn pink when done.
- 18DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- 19I have also done these on my George Foreman Grill without using the skewers.
- 20(actually, this is how I do it most of the time!) Just throw the shrimp on and cook a couple of minutes.
- 21Place bowl of sauce in the center of a round platter and arrange shrimp around the sauce.
- 22Sprinkle with additional chopped cilantro if desired.
Browse Our Top Spicy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chipotle Shrimp Cocktail
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.8
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 345.6 mg
- Sodium 1047.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 47.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo
chipotle chiles in adobo