Recipe by Ntune2food
i made this for my family and they loved them, since i am a vegetarian, i just basted some of this glaze onto a piece of veggie grilled chicken, and it was delicious... add more chipotle puree if you want them to bee spicier, or less for milder and sweeter wings. if possible, do not leave out the grated panela, it adds a complexity of flavor that cannot be duplicated with other ingredients.
- 12 chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup jaggery, grated (panela)
- 2 -3 tablespoons pureed chipotle chiles
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- lime zest
Directions See How It's Made
- thoroughly wash chicken wings, and add to plastic ziplock bag. to the bag add 2 tbsp chile powder, salt and pepper, lime zest and 2-3 tbsp of lime juice, and 1 tbsp of grated panela. seal bag and marinate for at least an hour or longer if time permits.
- for a basting sauce mix the remaining lime juice, 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp of grated panela, and about a tablespoon of chile powder in a bowl and set aside.
- for glaze add apple cider vinegar, honey, remaining grated panela to a small sauce pan, and reduce till glaze is thick and coats a spoon. then add chipotle puree one tablespoon at a time, to get to desired spiciness and then add some lime zest to the glaze, and set aside or over low fire to keep warm.
- start a charcoal fire in your grill (or start a gas grill) and let heat to a medium high to high heat. add wings to the grill and let brown on one side, flip wings and baste with chili lime juice mixture. when wings are done, and basted. add some glaze to one side of wings and flip over, grill for 2-3 minutes, then glaze the other side of the wings and flip again, and grill for another 2-3 minutes -- remove from the grill and add the remaining glaze to the wings.