Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The "sauce" is what makes these quesadillas unique. Serve with Pico de gallo or your favorite salsa. Directions for both a grill or stovetop. From Sunset Magazine
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, drained and minced
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- pico de gallo or other salsa
- Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay chicken on a grill over medium heat (you can hold you hand 1 or 2 inches above grill level only 4 to 5 seconds) or put chicken in a grill pan over medium heat. Cook chicken 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through (cut to check). Slice cooked chicken breasts into 1/4 in.-thick slices. Keep grill or grill pan hot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chipotle chile, sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Spread 1 tablespoon chipotle-lime sauce on each of the tortillas. Top 4 of the tortillas each with 1/2 cup cheese and a quarter of the chicken slices, then cover with the remaining tortillas (sauce side down). Put each quesadilla on a dinner plate.
- Slide quesadillas off the plates onto the grill over medium heat, or slide into a grill pan over medium heat (you may need to grill the tortillas in batches). Grill uncovered turning once, until cheese is melted and both sides are golden, about 2 minutes each side (use a large spatula and tongs to flip the quesadillas). If grilling in batches, keep finished quesadillas warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.
- Slice each quesadilla into wedges and serve with salsa on the side.
Fantastic! I can't find Chiptole Chilies in Adobo - so I've been using cans of roasted chilies. They were tricky to turn - then I discovered using 2 dinner plates to slide them onto and then flipping them. Worked like a charm! I've been using this recipe as an appetizer and a main dish! I can't wait to try these when I find the right chilies! Thanks for sharing!
The chipotle sauce was Excellent!! to make it healthier, I substituted plain Greek yogurt and some salt for the mayo and served this with Shredded Chicken for Enchiladas, Tostadas, Tacos (#169500). I'll be making this one again and again!
Very good. Everyone enjoyed this although I am not a big fan of the Chipotle flavor so I probably won't make this often.