Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
- If desired, at least 1 hour before cooking, soak wood chips in enough water to cover.
- Lightly coat a small skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook onion over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in the brown mustard, brown sugar, chile powder, cumin, and pepper; cook for 1 minute more.
- With your fingers, make a pocket under the skin of the turkey breast.
- Spread onion mixture evenly under the skin.
- Insert a meat thermometer into turkey breast.
- Drain wood chips, if using.
- Arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan.
- Sprinkle about 1 cup of the wood chips over coals.
- Place turkey on a grill rack in a roasting pan.
- Cover and grill about 1 1/4 hours or until the thermometer registers 170 degrees.
- Add more coals and wood chips every 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove turkey from grill.
- Cover with foil and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
Well, we thought we had a boneless Butterball turkey breast; turned out to be 3 large pieces of breast meat wrapped up in netting. Oh well, removed all skin and cut up into 1 1/2- 2" pieces instead. Mixed well with the paste, and let sit a day and a half. We did smoke them with the mesquite. Grilled total of 8 minutes over hot grill. Wow! super taste and smell. The turkey was so tender with beautiful grill marks. I did lightly oil the skewers rather than the grill. So glad the turkey wasn't what we thought...will do skewers again next time!