Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe from Cooking Light was surprisingly easy to prepare and very flavorful. I had never had a “white” barbecue sauce and was pleasantly surprised at the taste. Since grilled chicken is a summertime staple for me I will be making this sauce in a bigger batch and refrigerating in bottles. The spicy "vinegary" taste goes very well with the grilled chicken. Feel free to adjust the spices in the sauce.
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 dash salt
- To prepare chicken:.
- Loosen skin from breast by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine salt and next 4 ingredients (salt through chipotle chili powder). Rub mixture under loosened skin.
- Grill chicken on each side over direct heat for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Move chicken to indirect heat and cover, cooking an additional 35 minutes or until done.
- Discard skin.
- To prepare sauce:.
- Combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients, using a whisk. Serve sauce with chicken. Sauce can be made up to 1 day in advance, flavors will intensify.
Cece, this is ObxCliff...I used this recipe as a base for a sauce at work! I added chipotle in adobo, cilantro, garlic, used rice vinegar (not as acidic tasting) and a few other things and used it for a spiced rubbed grilled steak. It was great...good customer & server responses, too!!! Thanks for another great recipe!!!
LOVED this sauce - it's very different from our usual grilling sauces and marinades. We used it on a pork loin too.
We LOVE the white bbq sauce. It has a different zing that my family prefers over reg. bbq sauce. This is our new go to grilled chicken recipe from now on. Yum. Thank you for sharing with us.