Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This makes the best barbecue chicken on the planet. The extra effort of making the marinade is a definite payoff. The sweet mustard glaze gives the grilled chicken a wonderful crisp coating. The chicken does need to marinate overnight so plan ahead. This mustard sauce is also fantastic on pork chops. MAKE AHEAD: The sauce can be safely stored in a lidded jar in the refrigerator for a month. WINE: The sweet barbecue sauce mate well with a full-bodied, fruity grenache such as Domaine Lafond Roc-Epine Lirac Blanc 2004 or an off dry fruity Reisling such as the very easy to drink 2002 Reisling - Domaine Fernand Engel.
Top Review by momof2leos
This is an exceptional dish, love the flavors of both the sauce by itself and the chicken. I did marinate the chicken for about 48 hours, just by chance, and it was very tender, may do it again this way. I had extra sauce so I made a little salad dressing out of it, chopped up the chicken the second nght, ate it cold on my salad...very satisfying. Making room in the rotation for this recipe, for sure!!
- 3⁄4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 cup pure olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup ruby port or 1⁄2 cup marsala
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 lbs chicken breasts, thighs, quarters, drumsticks, bone in (your family's favorite)
Sweet Mustard Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cups yellow mustard
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Stir well and remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature, then pour into a glass jar with lid and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl or extra large ziplock, add the first 9 ingredients and mix well. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then, add the chicken pieces and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Light your grill or preheat broiler.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and arrange the pieces on a baking sheet/s.
- Brush the chicken pieces with the Barbecue Sauce and grill over a medium-hot fire or broil 12 inches from the heat, turning often and rotating, until cooked through and nicely glazed, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.