Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes the best barbecue chicken on the planet. The extra effort of making the marinade is a definite payoff. The sweet mustard glaze gives the grilled chicken a wonderful crisp coating. The chicken does need to marinate overnight so plan ahead. This mustard sauce is also fantastic on pork chops. MAKE AHEAD: The sauce can be safely stored in a lidded jar in the refrigerator for a month. WINE: The sweet barbecue sauce mate well with a full-bodied, fruity grenache such as Domaine Lafond Roc-Epine Lirac Blanc 2004 or an off dry fruity Reisling such as the very easy to drink 2002 Reisling - Domaine Fernand Engel.
- 3⁄4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 cup pure olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup ruby port or 1⁄2 cup marsala
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 lbs chicken breasts, thighs, quarters, drumsticks, bone in (your family's favorite)
Sweet Mustard Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cups yellow mustard
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Stir well and remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature, then pour into a glass jar with lid and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl or extra large ziplock, add the first 9 ingredients and mix well. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then, add the chicken pieces and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Light your grill or preheat broiler.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and arrange the pieces on a baking sheet/s.
- Brush the chicken pieces with the Barbecue Sauce and grill over a medium-hot fire or broil 12 inches from the heat, turning often and rotating, until cooked through and nicely glazed, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
This is an exceptional dish, love the flavors of both the sauce by itself and the chicken. I did marinate the chicken for about 48 hours, just by chance, and it was very tender, may do it again this way. I had extra sauce so I made a little salad dressing out of it, chopped up the chicken the second nght, ate it cold on my salad...very satisfying. Making room in the rotation for this recipe, for sure!!
This makes the best barbecue chicken. Loved the flavors! I used dry Marsala wine. I out this sauce on chicken and ribs that we had on the grill that was enjoyed by the whole family this holiday weekend. Thanks for sharing!
This is a wonderful recipe!!! The sauce is fabulous!!! I used 3 chicken quarters and Pork Ribs for DH and it was great!!! Everyone loved this!!! Quick and easy to put together. I cooked on my Farberware indoor grill. Thanks for posting!!