Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Great chicken for your next barbecue. Adapted from a magazine. The rub and seasoned butter can be made 2 days ahead. Keep butter in the fridge until ready to use and then bring to room temperature.
- 1 tablespoon coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning, with garlic and onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 lbs chicken pieces, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 sourdough baguette, cut on diagonal into 3/4-inch -thick slices
- Combine first 9 ingredients in small bowl; whisk spice rub to blend well.
- Transfer 1 tablespoon spice rub to medium bowl; add butter and mix well.
- Early in day, sprinkle spicy rub over both sides of chicken pieces. Marinate in the in teh refrigerator for several hours.
- Prepare barbecue.
- Reserve 4 tablespoons seasoned butter. Spread remaining seasoned butter on 1 side of baguette slices. Place bread slices on platter and cover.
- Place chicken on grill, skin-side up. Grill 20 minutes. Turn chicken over. Grill until skin is deep golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Turn chicken again and grill, skin-side up, until thoroughly cooked and no red remains.
- Transfer chicken to platter. Brush chicken with reserved 4 tablespoons seasoned butter.
- Grill bread until just golden, about 2 minutes per side. Arrange toasts around chicken and serve.
Good recipe. I liked the rub on pork chops better though. The rub even tastes good on veggies!!