Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting from ZWT6 for Iran region. This is from the "The BBQ Bible" cookbook by Steven Raichlen. This will be one of the easiest and most delectable recipes you will ever prepare. The yogurt and lemon juice tenderize the chicken, while the saffron perfumes the flavor. The recipes use 8 chicken pieces, but cook drumsticks on one skewer, thigh on another and chicken breasts on another. This allows for the different cooking times needed for the different pieces.
For the chicken and marinade
- 2.46 ml saffron thread
- 14.79 ml warm water
- 354.88 ml plain yogurt (whole-milk)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 118.29 ml fresh lemon juice
- 9.85 ml salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1814.36 g chicken pieces (8 pieces)
For the basting mixture
- 1.23 ml saffron thread
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter
- Place the saffron in a medium-size bowl and crush to a powder with a pestle or the end of a wooden spoon. Stir in the warm water and let stand for 5 minutes, then stir in the yogurt, onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Rinse off chicken pieces under cold running water, then drain and blot dry on paper towels. Place chicken in large nonreactive bowl or re-sealable bag and pour the marinade over them, turning the pieces to coat thoroughly. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 24 hours, turning the pieces occasionally.
- Preheat the grill, medium in one are and high heat in another area.
- Prepare the basting mixture. Place saffron in a medium bowl and crush it again to a powder. Stir in lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes. Melt the butter in a small saucepan on low heat, then remove from heat and stir in saffron mixture.
- Place chicken pieces on oiled grate, skin side down, on high heat and allow to brown for several minutes and then move them to med/low heat for several minutes. Now flip chicken pieces over and place on high heat til browned and again move over to the low heat to cook through. Baste pieces a couple of times during grilling. Be careful to watch for flareups and don't burn them. Season with salt and pepper.
This chicken turns out tender and flavorful. I served it to my Iranian friend who liked it very much!
4 1/2 stars. This is good. I used chicken breast cut into cubes on a skewer like little mafia's picture along with charred tomatoes as well. I served this with tadig rice (rice with potato slices & butter), plain yogurt and Tomato and Mint Salad (Shirazi) for an Iranian lunch. Made for Family Picks ZWT6 NA*ME regions for my team, The Ya Ya Cookerhood.
One of my favorite grilled chicken recipe. My DDs enjoy it too! Made for ZWT6