1/2 Photos of Grilled Chicken With Saffron
Posting from ZWT6 for Iran region. This is from the "The BBQ Bible" cookbook by Steven Raichlen. This will be one of the easiest and most delectable recipes you will ever prepare. The yogurt and lemon juice tenderize the chicken, while the saffron perfumes the flavor. The recipes use 8 chicken pieces, but cook drumsticks on one skewer, thigh on another and chicken breasts on another. This allows for the different cooking times needed for the different pieces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the chicken and marinade
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (whole-milk)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 lbs chicken pieces (8 pieces)
For the basting mixture
- 1Place the saffron in a medium-size bowl and crush to a powder with a pestle or the end of a wooden spoon. Stir in the warm water and let stand for 5 minutes, then stir in the yogurt, onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 2Rinse off chicken pieces under cold running water, then drain and blot dry on paper towels. Place chicken in large nonreactive bowl or re-sealable bag and pour the marinade over them, turning the pieces to coat thoroughly. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 24 hours, turning the pieces occasionally.
- 3Preheat the grill, medium in one are and high heat in another area.
- 4Prepare the basting mixture. Place saffron in a medium bowl and crush it again to a powder. Stir in lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes. Melt the butter in a small saucepan on low heat, then remove from heat and stir in saffron mixture.
- 5Place chicken pieces on oiled grate, skin side down, on high heat and allow to brown for several minutes and then move them to med/low heat for several minutes. Now flip chicken pieces over and place on high heat til browned and again move over to the low heat to cook through. Baste pieces a couple of times during grilling. Be careful to watch for flareups and don't burn them. Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken With Saffron
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.1
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 161.2 mg
- Sodium 934.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 36.8 g