Indian cuisine influences this refreshingly different chicken dish. From the Better Homes and Gardens Dieter's Cookbook. This delicious chicken dish is served with a delightfully sweet and spicy pineapple relish.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 of a medium fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1⁄2 of a medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- In a small bowl combine 1/2 tsp of the cardamom, the salt, and black pepper. Rub both sides of chicken with oil; sprinkle evenly with spice mixture.
- Grill chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170°F), turning once.
- For relish, in a medium bowl combine pineapple, sweet pepper, cilantro (or parsley), lime juice, green onion, jalapeño pepper, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cardamom. Serve chicken with relish. If desired, garnish with herb sprigs.
This was a good dinner, but likely one I would not make again. Cardamom is something I'm used to in sweets and bread, so to find it in a savory application was a bit strange. Not bad, but not my first choice, either. The salsa was good, but I would strongly recomend using cilantro rather than parsley, as the parsley didn't really add any flavor, and it kind of tasted like something was missing. I would also recomend making the salsa the day before, or several hours earlier, so the flavors have time to marry. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT5 by one of the Cooks with Dirty Faces.
Delicious!! I love fruit salsas and I'm always on the lookout for a good one. This salsa is absolutely yummy. The flavors compliment each other perfectly and work so well with the chicken. I used a little extra cilantro because I love the stuff, and instead of the fresh pineapple, I used a 20 oz. can of pineapple chunks, coarsely chopped. My family loved this and gave it 2-thumbs up. Thank you for sharing this fantastic recipe...it is definitely a keeper!! *Made for AUS/NZ recipe swap #19*
Absolutely perfect, b/c it has wonderful ingredients! DH and I are Swedish in background and love cardamom in sweet goodies, and now we have discovered that cardamom is also yummy on chicken! Tasty, easy, beautiful, and healthy. The only thing I did differently was used 1 teaspoon from a jar of already chopped jalapeno b/c that was the only choice at our grocery store. Honestly. Thanks for sharing a keeper, Crafty Lady 13! Made for ZWT4 Countries of Asian challenge.