Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These tasty chicken breasts, brushed with basil butter during grilling, and then served with a tangy mustard sauce is a nice change from the ordinary. A green vegetable, tomato wedges, and a garnish of fresh basil compliments the dish.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh basil or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons dijon-style mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash onion powder
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash white pepper
- 2 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
- To make Basil Butter: In small saucepan, melt the butter or margarine over low heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon garlic powder, the basil, and the 3/4 teaspoon onion powder. Set aside.
- To make the Mustard Sauce: Stir together all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate sauce until you are ready to serve.
- To prepare the chicken: Trim any fat, rinse and pat dry. Place each breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Working from the center to the outer edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap.
- Grill the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink. Halfway through the grilling, turn the chicken over and generously brush each with the Basil Butter Sauce. Serve the chicken with the mustard sauce.
- I have always served the Mustard Sauce cold, however, it can be served warm. After mixing, place it in a small sauce pan and cook and stir until heated through. Keep warm until serving.
- I uaually double the sauce recipe to have extra on hand. It is excellent on ham and roast beef as well.
Zusie-Q - I thank you for posting this recipe, it was the most delicious and moist tasty chicken on the grill I have ever Had!(and I eat alot of chicken). The mustard sauce was wonderful and basting the chicken in a basil butter sauce was genius!! I will make more of your recipes and my family will apploud!
Easy and very good. Smelled wonderful cooking.