1/5 Photos of Grilled Chicken With Mango Habanero Glaze
This recipe was created for the Ready Set Cook #8 contest. It's best to make this delicious sweet and spicy glaze ahead of time, and keep it refrigerated until needed. It will make about 1/2 cup. Because it's very hot and spicy, it doesn't take much to glaze the chicken breast. If you have some left over, it can be used like pepper jelly for other uses too. (I doubled the glaze recipe to keep on hand in the fridge.) Habaneros are delicious but extremely spicy. If you want to tone down the heat, use less habanero, or use a milder pepper. Also, use extreme care when mincing the habanero. I use a paper towel wrapped around my fingers, to prevent my fingers from coming in contact with it. If you get it on your fingers, and touch your eye - YOWSA!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 mango, ripe, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (grated fresh or ground)
- 1/2 habanero pepper, minced finely
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark rum (like Meyers)
- 1/4-1/2 orange (used to provide 1 tbsp freshly squeezed juice)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- 1Add the first five ingredients (sugar through cider vinegar) in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium and stir frequently, mashing the mango, until the ingredients are incorporated and begin to boil. Lower the heat to simmer, and let cook slowly for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Squeeze 1 tbsp juice from the orange and add with the rum to the sugar/mango mixture. Stir and simmer gently for 2 - 3 more minutes. Set aside and cool. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2Salt chicken to taste. Grill chicken until nearly finished. Baste chicken with glaze and grill a few more minutes on each side, basting lightly with glaze with each turn until the chicken is done.
- 3Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve. Reserve and refrigerate extra glaze for future use.
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken With Mango Habanero Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.9
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 138.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 31.7 g
- Protein 25.6 g