Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
I saw this made on Good Morning America and the hosts were drooling all over themselves. It does sound good but I haven't yet made it. This recipe is supposed to be a la the old west on the trail. You may substitute chicken breasts, legs or thighs for the cut up chicken.
- 3 slice bacon, diced
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 59.14 ml minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml chipotle chile in adobo
- 473.18 ml brewed coffee
- 59.14 ml packed brown sugar
- 177.44 ml red wine vinegar
- 236.59 ml ketchup
- 236.59 ml diced canned tomato
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 2 (2721.55 g) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- In 4 qt pot, render bacon over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and jalapeno, sauteing until onion is translucent.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients, simmering slowly over low heat for 3 hours, until sauce thickens.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Drizzle vegetable oil over chicken to coat and season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken, skin-side down, on grill and cook approximately 15 minutes per side.
- Turn, as necessary, until chicken is nearly cooked through.
- Spoon sauce over both sides of chicken and continue grilling until chicken is cooked through or juices run clear, approximately 5- 10 more minutes.
finally was able to make this! and it was great! omitted the cumin----i am not a fan. lowered the heat a bit as i was trying it out on a picky teenager. used my new indoor grill----all ended very well! love the coffee flavor---it makes the whole recipe!