Recipe by Ducky
I saw this made on Good Morning America and the hosts were drooling all over themselves. It does sound good but I haven't yet made it. This recipe is supposed to be a la the old west on the trail. You may substitute chicken breasts, legs or thighs for the cut up chicken.
Top Review by kimbearly
finally was able to make this! and it was great! omitted the cumin----i am not a fan. lowered the heat a bit as i was trying it out on a picky teenager. used my new indoor grill----all ended very well! love the coffee flavor---it makes the whole recipe!
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo
- 2 cups brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup diced canned tomato
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In 4 qt pot, render bacon over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and jalapeno, sauteing until onion is translucent.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients, simmering slowly over low heat for 3 hours, until sauce thickens.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Drizzle vegetable oil over chicken to coat and season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken, skin-side down, on grill and cook approximately 15 minutes per side.
- Turn, as necessary, until chicken is nearly cooked through.
- Spoon sauce over both sides of chicken and continue grilling until chicken is cooked through or juices run clear, approximately 5- 10 more minutes.