Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cilantro is one of those tastes that people either love or hate. Whatever your opinion, it has become widely used in recent years, particularly in Mediterranean and Mexican cooking.
- Preheat grill to medium. Combine garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small dish; mash into a paste using back side of a large spoon. Add lime peel.
- Wash hands. Loosen skin of chicken by slipping your hand between the meat and skin. Spread a quarter of the garlic mixture and tuck 2 cilantro sprigs under the skin of each breast. Wash hands.
- Combine chopped cilantro, butter or margarine, oil and lime juice in a small bowl. Brush chicken skin lightly with mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place chicken on grill, skin side down. Brush with cilantro-butter mixture. Cover and grill 15 minutes. Turn chicken; brush with half of remaining cilantro butter. Cover and grill 10 minutes. Without turning, brush chicken with remaining cilantro butter. Cover and grill 5 minutes or until done (internal temperature 180° F).
- Serving suggestion: Serve with Spanish Rice and Chilled Fresh Fruit. Refrigerate leftovers.
This is really delicious chicken and we loved the combination of the lime, cilantro and of course, the garlic and butter. I baked these breasts in the oven vs. the grill and they turned out really well. Will definitely keep this recipe on my "short list" as it was really tasty. Will try the grill next time. Made for the Went To Market tag, July, 2013.