Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes extra sauce, which is easy to freeze and use for more chicken, or even enchiladas. And since I made this for my family of three, if you want to increase the recipe to say 4 or 6, just increase the chicken and marinade but leave the chile verde sauce quantities the same. If you have no immediate use for the extra sauce, freeze it for later. Oh, and sorry my picture is a little blurry. It was the best one I had of this when I made it, but at least it gives you an idea of what the finished item looks like. --Sue
- 3 chicken breast fillets, pounded thin
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
Chile Verde Sauce
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb tomatillo, outer husks removed, and chopped
- 4 fresh poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 6 fresh anaheim chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients for chicken for at least 1.
- To prepare sauce, saute onions in lard until softened. Add remaining sauce ingredients and simmer until peppers are tender. Allow mixture to cool and puree in batches in a food processor. If necessary, add water to yield 1 quart total. Set aside.
- Grill chicken over hot coals until cooked through. Serve with warmed sauce spooned over. Freeze any remaining sauce (it's good for chicken again, or also enchiladas, etc.).