Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is fabulous! It takes a little longer ( it's not really a quickie) but it is sooo worth it. Serve with a big salad and a nice loaf of Italian bread and they'll be in heaven.
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 quart spaghetti sauce (use your favorite)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mozzarella cheese
- 12 ounces cooked pasta (penne, rigatoni or ziti)
- Wash veggies and cut into large slices. Brush the veggies and chicken with olive oil and grill until chicken is almost done and veggies are crisp-tender.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta, egg, parsley, garlic and romano cheese.
- Cover bottom of 13x9 lazagna pan with about 1 cup of sauce, add pasta, spoon cheese mixture over pasta (kind of mix it in a tiny bit- I sort of poke it down between the pasta a little), top with veggies and chicken. Top with remaining sauce (shake it a litlle so the sauce runs down between everything), cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, spread mozzarella over top and bake for 15 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
I finally made this last night, and I'm so glad I did! This really hit the spot, its a medley of so many great flavors. I had an oops when pouring in my pasta so I ended up with almost a full pound, and I think that made it a little dry, so next time I will add more spaghetti sauce. I had to use a green pepper instead of a yellow one. I added a little pesto seasoning to the cheese mixture after taking some advice from the other reviews, but other than that made it as is. I used fresh mozzarella to make is super gooey and it was amazing!!! I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch today. Made for PRMR Tag.
This was really a great dish. As the intro states, it is not a quick dish to prepare though, but it is packed with healthy vegetables and cheese so it was worth the effort. I think it would be even better if it had a little seasoning in it. So next time I make this, I think I will leave out the chicken (as it's a substantial enough dish without it), and just add some garlic and basil. But it really IS a great dish.
This does take a little bit of time to make. To help cut back on the time, I grilled everything the night before, with that night's dinner. Refrigerated everything until the next day and assembled it when I got home. Added a little extra time to the baking time, since it had been refrigerated. Fantastic! I will be making this again on a weekend when we have a little extra time to do it all on the same day. Great way to use up fresh veggies from the garden. Thanks for sharing!