Recipe by PanNan
This delicious wrap is a slightly modified version from styleathome.com. For the best flavor it requires a marinade time of 2 hours minimum, which is not included in the prep time.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
What a delicious wrap! I marinated both the chicken and the tzatziki overnight and the chicken was moist and delicious along with those scrumptious kalamata olives and cucumbers. I added a little red wine vinegar to give the tzatziki a little more zip and added some fresh baby spinach leaves to the pita. This makes a wonderfully healthy and delicious lunch and can be made as a light dinner as well. Made for ZWT9, July, 2013.
- 4 pita bread
- 4 tablespoons yogurt (for garnish)
For chicken marinade
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
For cucumber relish
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced tomato (dice finely)
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion (diced finely)
- 6 tablespoons black olives (chopped and pitted)
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley (coarsely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill weed (coarsely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare chicken marinade, whisk all marinade ingredients except chicken breasts together in a bowl. Combine marinade with chicken breasts in a large zip-lock bag, seal and gently shake to evenly distribute marinade over chicken. Place in refrigerator and chill for 2 to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cucumber relish. Lay cucumber slices in a sieve placed over a bowl and sprinkle with pinch of salt. Leave for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until cucumbers soften and their liquid begins to drain into the bowl. Stir occasionally.
- Combine the tomato, onion, olives, parsley, dill, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Stir in drained cucumbers, then cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Grease grill and preheat to medium-high. Remove chicken from zip-lock bag and discard marinade. Grill chicken breasts until cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove chicken from grill, let rest for a few minutes and slice thinly on the diagonal. Lay chicken slices on top of each pita round and divide relish evenly among them. Garnish with a little extra yogurt and serve.