Prep 24 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Using a tasty Tex-Mex marinade, this tostada gives a decidedly different taste to ordinary tostadas. Placed on a corn tortilla bed, this would make an excellent BBQ party dish and can be folded over to make it kid friendly. You can also use an indoor grill pan making this a great year round dish!
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (plus more for brushing)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 6 pieces boneless skinless chicken
- 8 small corn tortillas, 5-6 inches
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded lettuce
- salsa (optional) or guacamole (optional) or sour cream (optional) or cilantro (optional) or green onions (optional) or tomatoes (optional)
- Place chicken in a gallon size ziplock bag and add all the marinade ingredients. Press air out and seal. Turn bag to coat the chicken and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (preferrably overnight), turning the bag occasionally. Remove meat from the refrigerator 20 minutes before grilling.
- Over medium high coals, grill chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into strips.
- Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with vegetable oil. Grill on both sides for about one minute. Before removing from grill, sprinkle with cheese.
- To serve, layer with shredded lettuce, chicken strips, remaining cheese and any additional ingredients.
We like to make this in the summer when it's too hot to turn on the oven. Delicious!
Made these for PAC 2006. My DH and DD loved them! I really liked the flavor that the marinade gave the chicken. My only change would be to use flour tortillas next time; I just didn't like the flavor of the corn tortillas. Of course, that is only personal preference and takes nothing away from the real essence of the recipe! We will have these again!