Recipe by Buster's friend
This recipe has me getting the grill set up - grilling weather is coming & this recipe by Mark Bitman is going to start off the season! Came to me by email... out of the blue! Serve with steamed rice, bright hot pineapple-habanero salsa & crunchy cucumber, sweet red pepper salad.
- 1 tablespoon garlic, slivered (or minced)
- 6 scallions, trimmed and minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, minced (habanero, Scotch bonnet OK too, or Asian Chile paste or crushed red pepper flakes)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, about 8
- 1 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Start a charcoal or wood fire, or preheat a gas grill to the maximum, or preheat the broiler. Set the rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Prepare the sauce: Combine the garlic, scallions, Chile, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, allspice, and oil in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup boiling water; stir and let sit.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and grill or broil it, turning two or three times, until it is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and adjust with more Chile, salt, pepper, or allspice if needed. Stir in the lime juice.
- Serve the chicken hot or at room temperature, passing the sauce at the table.