Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
From Fine Cooking, April/May2004.
For the chicken
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup cored seeded and finely chopped fresh poblano chile (about 2)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
- kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup grated oaxaca cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese (optional)
- Marinate the chicken: Mix lime juice, chile powder, garlic, salt, oregano, and pepper; whisk in oil.
- Place chicken in a large ziploc, add marinade, and refrigerate for no longer than 1 1/2 hours.
- Make the filling: Prepare a medium hot charcoal fire, or place a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off.
- Grill chicken (if searing in skillet, use 1 Tablespoon oil), flipping after about 4 minutes, until it's just firm to the touch and cooked, through, about 9 minutes total.
- Let cool, then chop into fine pieces.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, adding 1 Tablespoon of oil and the bacon.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until bacon just begins to brown.
- Turn to medium-high, add chiles and onions.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften.
- Add chopped chicken, cilantro, and lime juice, stirring constantly until chicken is hot.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning with salt.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top, remove pan from heat, and allow cheese to melt.
- Serve with soft tacos, salsa, etc.