Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this while searching for a recipe for a package of chicken sausages that I got on sale one day. This is a very flexible recipe....throw whatever you want on the grill along with the sausages, such as peppers, zucchini, etc.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 chicken-apple sausages
- 3 green onions
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium pot; cook carrots and onion until just softened, about 5 minutes; add lentils, broth, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste; heat to a simmer, cook, uncovered, until lentils are done, about 20 minutes; remove bay leaf, stir in orange zest; set lentils aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, grill, broil or microwave sausages according to package instructions.
- If grilling add green onions to grill and cook until limp and dark marks appear, chop and set aside.
- Remove sausages to a cutting board; slice.
- Place lentils on plates; top with chopped green onions, arrange sliced sausages on top.
Great, easy way to cook lentils. I used herb sausages, I think any kind would do fine. Very good, easy recipe. I think the green onions make it at the end, so don't leave them out!