Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe served as the cover photo for the August 2007 issue of Food and Wine magazine. I couldn't get my mind off the photo and made these the very next day. This is a perfect summertime sandwich! Quick, easy and delicious. Prep time includes marinating time.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 12 chicken breasts, cutlets (half inch thick totaling 2 1/2 pounds)
- 6 ciabatta rolls, split
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (1/3 inch thick)
- 6 large basil leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of the olive oil with the lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Spoon 1» tablespoons of the mixture into a medium bowl, add the tomatoes and turn to coat. Add the chicken to the large bowl and turn to coat. Let the tomatoes and chicken stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Light a grill. Brush the rolls with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and grill over high heat until golden. Add the chicken to the grill, season with salt and pepper and grill over high heat, turning once, until cooked through and lightly charred, about 6 minutes. Place the chicken on the rolls and top with the mozzarella, tomato and basil. Spoon any tomato juices on the top half of the bun, close the sandwiches and serve.
DD made this for supper last evening - absolutely excellent - can't wait to get home & make it for DH - I know he will love it as I did. Added Garlic Mayonnaise Dip (Garlic Mayonnaise Dip) to the buns after grilling per DD's suggestion - an excellent addition and highly recommended. Thanks for posting KC_Cooker :)
OMG! OMG! This was one of the tastiest burders/sandwiches I have EVER had! The combination of flavours was PERFECT!
I keeper for sure! Served with grilled zucchini and potato salad. Thank you!!
This was very good and very summery. Next time I'm going to add the Garlic Mayonnaise Dip, Garlic Mayonnaise Dip, too. Sounds like a great suggestion.