Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A refreshing salad boasting grilled chicken, greens, tomatoes, avocados and pear. It includes homemade dressing and sweetened with sugar-glazed almonds. Adapted from Jan Roberts-Dominguez.
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, grilled and cooled
- 6 cups salad greens
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 Hass avocadoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar-glazed almonds (recipe follows)
- 1⁄4 cup minced sweet onion
- 3 leaves romaine lettuce
- 2 ripe pears, cored and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- To Make The Salad Dressing: In a blender or food processor, combine the vinegar, sugar, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and salt. Blend until most of sesame seeds are ground. Scrape contents into a small bowl, then whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream. Makes 3/4 cup.
- To Assemble: Cut the chicken into 1/4-inch pieces and combine with 1/2 cup vinaigrette, the salad greens, diced tomatoes, avocado, almonds and onion. Arrange the romaine lettuce leaves on salad plates, then divide salad mixture between them. Garnish with the pear slices.
- To Make Sugar-Glazed Almonds: In a nonstick skillet, roast sliced almonds over medium-high heat until golden, shaking pan to prevent scorching. Sprinkle on about 2 tablespoons sugar, stirring constantly and cook until sugar melts around almonds. Remove from heat and quickly scrape almonds onto a sheet of waxed paper to cool. Makes 1/2 cup.