- Carla -'s Note:
Lavender may seems like an odd salad ingredient, but it's delightful scent has a natural affinity with sweet garlic, orange and other wild herbs. A serving of polenta makes this salad both filling and delicious. From the Cook's Encyclopedia of chicken - a cookbook shelf must have!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup fine polenta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb Baby Spinach
- 6 ounces lamb's lettuce
- 8 sprigs fresh lavender
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and black pepper
- 1To make the marinade, strip the lavender flowers from the stems and combine with the orange rind, garlic, honey and salt; add the olive oil and herbs.
- 2Slash the chicken deeply, spread the mixture over the chicken and marinate in the refrigerator 20 minutes.
- 3To cook the polenta - in a heavy saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil; add the polenta in a steady stream, stirring all the time until thick; this will take 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4Turn the cooked polenta out onto a 1 inch deep buttered tray and allow to cool.
- 5Heat the broiler to medium. (If using a barbecue, let the embers settle to a steady glow) Grill the chicken about 15 minutes, turning once.
- 6Cut the polenta into 1 inch cubes with a wet knife.
- 7Heat the butter in a large frying pan and fry the polenta until golden brown.
- 8Wash the salad leaves and spin dry, divide among 4 large plates.
- 9Slice each chicken breast and lay over the salad. Place the polenta among the salad, garnish with sprigs of lavender and tomatoes, season to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken Salad with Lavender & Fresh Herb Marinade
Serving Size: 1 (610 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 539.1
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 595.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 39.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: