Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another use for that abundance of strawberries. Balsamic vinegar, strawberries and black pepper are a classic Italian trio: spicy and sweet, refined and earthy. Together - and bound with aromatic almond oil - they make a terrific dressing for this salad of chicken and vegetables.
For the Strawberry Dressing
- 1 cup strawberry, rinsed, hulled and sliced (6 large berries)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons almond oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
For the Salad
- 8 ounces thin asparagus, stem ends snapped off, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, stemmed
- 8 ounces snow peas, stemmed (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon almond oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 strawberries (to garnish)
- For the Strawberry Dressing:.
- Place strawberries, vinegar, pepper, sugar and salt in a blender or food processor; process until pureed, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add oil and process until smooth. (Pretty easy, eh!).
- For the Salad:.
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking vegetables. Make Fresh Strawberry Dressing. Prepare a grill or preheat broiler.
- Blanch asparagus, sugar snaps and snow peas in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water to refresh, then blot dry with paper towels. Whisk lemon juice, 1 tablespoon almond oil (or canola oil), salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the vegetables and scallions; toss to coat.
- Rub chicken breasts with 2 teaspoons canola oil and sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning. Place the chicken on the grill, close the cover and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes per side. (Alternatively, broil chicken 4 to 6 inches from the heat source for about 6 minutes per side.) Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Divide the vegetable mixture among 4 plates. Arrange the chicken slices over the vegetables. Spoon about 3 tablespoons Fresh Strawberry Dressing over each salad. Sprinkle with almonds and garnish each serving with a strawberry. Serve immediately.