Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
"Grilled Chicken Salad With Sugar-Glazed Hazelnuts and Toasted Sesame-Poppy Seed Vinaigrette": from mailtribune.com
Toasted Sesame-Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil, such as canola
Grilled Chicken Salad
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, grilled and cooled
- 6 cups salad greens, plus more for plating presentation (preferably half romaine and half baby arugula leaves)
- 2 roma tomatoes, cored and diced (Italian plum tomatoes)
- 2 ripe Hass avocadoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup sugar-glazed hazelnuts (recipe follows)
- 1⁄4 cup minced sweet onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe pears, cored and sliced
- tomato, wedges
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped lightly roasted and skinned hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- For the Toasted Sesame-Poppy Seed Vinaigrette: In a blender or food processor, combine the vinegar, sugar, sesame and poppy seeds, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt and 1 tablespoon minced onion.
- Blend until most sesame seeds are ground (stop motor several times and scrape down sides of container). Scrape contents into a small bowl, then whisk in the vegetable oil in a slow, steady stream. This makes 3/4 cup.
- For the Salad: Cut the cooked and cooled chicken into 1/4-inch pieces and combine with 1/2 cup vinaigrette, the salad greens, diced tomatoes, avocado, sugar-glazed hazelnuts and 1/4 cup minced onion. Add more vinaigrette as necessary to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve: Arrange additional salad greens on 4 plates, then divide salad mixture between them. Garnish with the pear slices, tomato wedges and sliced egg.
- Sugar-Glazed Hazelnuts: Place a sheet of waxed paper on countertop. In a nonstick skillet, warm 1 cup coarsely chopped, lightly roasted and skinned hazelnuts over medium-high heat. Sprinkle on about 2 tablespoons sugar, stirring continuously with either a silicone spatula or flat-sided wooden spoon; cook until sugar melts around hazelnuts. Sprinkle on more sugar as necessary to glaze all hazelnut pieces. Remove from heat and quickly scrape hazelnuts onto sheet of waxed paper to cool.