1/4 Photos of Grilled Chicken Pesto Panini
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
If you have an electric panini maker then use it for this, if not you need two skillets, one heavy cast iron skillet or similar for the top to weigh down the panini. This makes a perfect lunch or light dinner. Plan ahead the chicken needs to marinade for 1 hour before cooking....this works with a George Foreman grill, just make certain to hold down on the top lid firmly while cooking to ensure toasting the bread, or maybe you are lucky enough to own a panini maker, then you will not need the heavy skillet for the top. Double the recipe if desired. You will love this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, and pounded thin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups roasted red peppers (bottled or canned)
- 4 slices provolone cheese (sliced thick)
- 1/2-3/4 cup pesto sauce (bottled or homemade)
- 8 slices Italian bread (sliced 1/2-inch thick, can use about 4 x 4-inch ciabatta rolls in place of the Italian bread)
- olive oil, for brushing on bread
- 1Pound the chicken fillets until thin between two pieces of waxed paper, then marinate in oil, garlic, pepper and Italian seasoning for about 1-1/2 hours.
- 2Heat a grill pan or sauté pan (the breasts can also be grilled on the BBQ).
- 3Season the breasts with salt and pepper.
- 4Cook the chicken on medium heat for about 5 minutes per side, or until golden and cooked through.
- 5Remove from pan and place on a plate or board.
- 6Top each fillet with some of the roasted peppers and a slice of cheese.
- 7Spread BOTH sides of the bread with pesto sauce.
- 8Place chicken inside the bread and form to a sandwich.
- 9Brush both sides of the outside of bread with olive oil.
- 10Heat a grill pan or a 10-inch skillet on medium high heat. Place the panini in the pan (only 2 at a time).
- 11Weigh the panini down with another heavy skillet and then top with a heavy can (a very large can of tomato juice works great for this!) cook for about 3 minutes, or until bread is toasted.
- 12Turn the panini, and weigh it down again with a heavy skillet and a can on top, and toast for another 3 minutes.
- 13Remove from pan and cut in half.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken Pesto Panini
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.2
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 94.8 mg
- Sodium 1335.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 36.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning