Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Make and share this Grilled Chicken Mole Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 3 dried New Mexico chiles or 3 dried pasilla peppers
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sweet mexican chocolate (about 3 tablespoons) or 1 1⁄2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 small avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and mashed
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 2 bolillo rolls or 2 other mexican rolls or 2 hard rolls, approximately 6 inches in diameter, split
- baby romaine lettuce or other green lettuce leaf
- tomatoes, slices
- 1⁄2 medium papaya, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- For mole, remove stem and seeds from peppers; coarsely chop peppers and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are brown.
- Add the dried peppers and 1/2 cup water; reduce heat and stir in chocolate.
- Cook and stir over medium heat, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor bowl or blender container; cover and process or blend until a smooth paste.
- Set aside to cool. Reserve 1 to 2 tablespoons mole.
- Season chicken with salt, if desired. Using a sharp knife, carefully butterfly-cut each breast; spread inside face of each breast with mole. Fold closed.
- Rub the outside of each breast with reserved mole.
- Grill breasts on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, turning once halfway through. Cover and chill.
- In a small bowl stir together avocado, light mayonnaise dressing, salt, and the ground red pepper, if desired.
- Slice chicken into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Spread avocado mixture on split rolls; layer with chicken, romaine, and tomato slices. Garnish with sliced papaya.
- Serve open-faced.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Up to 8 hours ahead, prepare and grill the chicken. Cover and chill until ready to serve.