Source: Better Homes and Gardens
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 dried New Mexico chiles or 3 dried pasilla peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1/2 ounces sweet mexican chocolate (about 3 tablespoons) or 1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 small avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and mashed
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 2 bolillo rolls or 2 other mexican rolls or 2 hard rolls, approximately 6 inches in diameter, split
- baby romaine lettuce or other green lettuce leaf
- tomato, slices
- 1/2 medium papaya, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1For mole, remove stem and seeds from peppers; coarsely chop peppers and set aside.
- 2In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are brown.
- 3Add the dried peppers and 1/2 cup water; reduce heat and stir in chocolate.
- 4Cook and stir over medium heat, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool slightly.
- 5Transfer mixture to a food processor bowl or blender container; cover and process or blend until a smooth paste.
- 6Set aside to cool. Reserve 1 to 2 tablespoons mole.
- 7Season chicken with salt, if desired. Using a sharp knife, carefully butterfly-cut each breast; spread inside face of each breast with mole. Fold closed.
- 8Rub the outside of each breast with reserved mole.
- 9Grill breasts on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, turning once halfway through. Cover and chill.
- 10In a small bowl stir together avocado, light mayonnaise dressing, salt, and the ground red pepper, if desired.
- 11Slice chicken into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- 12Spread avocado mixture on split rolls; layer with chicken, romaine, and tomato slices. Garnish with sliced papaya.
- 13Serve open-faced.
- 14Make-Ahead Tip: Up to 8 hours ahead, prepare and grill the chicken. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken Mole Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (1284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.5
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 366.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 30.8 g