Prep 9 hrs
Cook 30 mins
A Moroccan-inspired grilled chicken dish! Prep time includes 8 hours marinating time.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 (3 lb) chicken, quartered
- In a skillet, toast peppercorns, cumin, coriander and cinnamon over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Finely grind in small food processor.
- Add garlic and 2 teaspoons salt; pulse until paste forms.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the onion, zest, juice, oil and parsley.
- Add chicken quarters; turn to coat.
- Cover, refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Prepare outdoor grill with medium hot coals.
- Remove chicken from bowl; scrape off excess marinade.
- Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt.
- Grill, turning 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
Mark, this was a lovely change of pace for us. I thought I had just about 'chickened' myself out, but no...! This is a real winner. I loved the aroma of the toasting seeds. It made the kitchen smell wonderful. The cinnamon was just the right amout. I marinated it in a large Ziploc bag, and just kept turning the bag over to make sure it was all covered. Served with a tomato, cucumber and onion salad. What a wonderful meal. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Just the right flavor for this hot spell we are having. I used skinless breasts cut up, marinated overnight & then skewered they were wonderful. Served with a huge veggie salad (raw Broccoli, cauliflower tomatoes etc etc) with no dressing and had Ginger salsa on the side Excellent dinner
We loved this recipe...it had the right blend of spices. I made up the marinade and used it with chicken thighs. I froze the package flat, so it took little effort to thaw it out! I would definately do this one again!