Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I know, this sounds disgusting! But it's amazing! I tried this at a friend's house. At first I was going to refuse, but my kids were watching and I always berate them when they turn down food they haven't tasted, so.... wow, what a surprise! You can also use cola, or apple cider. Just make sure the liver is grilled to what you consider is perfection!
- 12 chicken livers, two halves separated
- 1 quart 7-Up soda (or any other carbonated beverage)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Wash the livers, drain and put in a bowl.
- Add enough carbonated beverage to cover the liver and marinate about half an hour.
- Put every two pieces of liver on two bamboo skewers and lay them over the hot grill.
- Add salt and pepper and grill about 4 minutes on each side, until the liver is browned on the outside and pink on the inside.
Used ginger ale and it made the livers taste kind of sweet. I prefer them soaked in milk instead of soda.
I LOVE chicken livers so this was a great new way to make them. I couldn't say that the 7-up did anything for them though...they just tasted like regular chicken livers to me...it may have helped brown them a little. I doubled the recipe and spread the halves out on a greased cookie sheet. Then I broiled them 6 minutes per side. I never thought of grilling or broiling liver...now I will be trying it again with different spice mixtures.