Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great soup for a cold winter night.
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 bunch celery (coarsely chopped)
- 2 large onions (coarsely chopped)
- 2 cups mild green chilies (diced)
- 6 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1⁄2 gallon chicken stock (preferably homemade, heated)
- 2 cups grilled chicken (cubed)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 scallions (chopped)
- In a large stockpot, sauté all vegetables in the butter for about 10 minutes or until wilted. Add flour to make a roux, and then add hot chicken stock and remaining ingredients, except for last 6.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- For cilantro cream: Put all ingredients in a blender except for chopped scallions and blend until smooth. Put cream in a squeeze bottle or a baggie with one corner snipped off.
- Put soup in individual serving bowls. Garnish with cilantro cream and chopped scallions.
Oh my, this was tasty! Easy and the family loved!
I made half of this, but couldn't bring myself to put 1/2 cup of butter in it, so used about a tablespoon (and lowered the flour accordingly). I ended up adding extra chicken, only because I had it. This is a good, plain soup. I would definitely recommend serving this with a squeeze of lime and some chips to top it.